Sex Worker Outreach Program (SWOP)
SWOP is a peer-based community organisation whose primary purpose is the prevention of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), through education and referral.
SWOP ACT Mission Statement
To achieve acceptance of sex work as a valid occupation and to empower sex workers to encourage, support and educate each other within our community.
SWOP ACT aims:
- To educate sex workers about safe sex practices and the prevention of HIV and other STIs.
- To lobby for legal and administrative frameworks that do not discriminate against sex workers and former sex workers.
- To address the special needs of workers from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds so they can have easy access to services such as access to resources.
- To eradicate sex worker stereotypes in the popular consciousness and replace myths with the truth about sex workers and our experiences.
- To provide information about how to obtain access to a range of health and community services that are appropriately sensitive to the needs of sex workers.
Outreach is a free service to all workers and studios in the ACT. SWOP ACT does outreach to ensure all workers have access to information about their health and rights. Low cost safe sex products and safe injecting equipment is available. Outreach to studios once a month on Thursday and Friday evenings from 7:00pm – 11pm. Contact for upcoming outreach dates. SWOP is always available to visit private workers, please contact to make a booking.
Low cost condoms, lube, and other safe sex products are available. Drop by 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday – Thursday and 9:00 to 4:00pm Friday. Cash and card facilities available. The SWOP ACT at Havelock House is a secondary NSP (needle and syringe program). A range of safe injecting and disposal equipment is available. Contact for more details.