Website user information collected by AIDS Action Council of the ACT (the Council) is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), (the ‘Privacy Act’) and in some cases the Health Records (Privacy & Access) Act 1997 (ACT). The collection, storage and destruction of information meets the guidelines of the Australian Privacy Principles 2014. Personal information is any information that could be used to identify you and includes sensitive and health information.
The Council may also collect relevant information via our website to enable us to establish relationships with community members (including but not limited to online store purchases, referrals, contact forms, feedback or applications for services across our organisation). Information is de-identified wherever possible, and used strictly for the purpose intended by the individual submitting information.
Information is kept securely, and destroyed in line with appropriate legal standards. From time to time we may also collect information to help ascertain how individuals are interacting with our website. This practice allows us to improve our website to meet the needs of the community. Information collected for the purpose of tracking website performance includes but may not be limited to:
- State / territory location
- Pages an individual user has visited consecutively
- Time spent on individual pages
- Terms searched for using our Search function
If you provide your personal information, it may be used to:
- provide you with a service, at your request.
- report to government or other funding bodies how funding is used (this information will be de-identified wherever possible)
- process any donations, payment for service or goods purchased and provide receipts
- upon agreement, communicate with you about the Council services, causes, events and products, which we believe may be of interest to you
- respond to your feedback or complaints
- answer any queries
It may also be used for:
- any other specific purpose for which it was requested and which was advised to you directly.
Please be assured that wherever possible the Council uses information in a de-identified form. Personal information will not be disclosed to third parties without your permission, except where permitted or required under the Privacy Act. Under no circumstances is personal information passed on to third party marketing firms.
All personal, sensitive and health information collected will be securely stored by the Council and protected from unauthorised use or access, and all reasonable steps will be taken to ensure information is accurate and up-to-date. Our Privacy and Access to Client Information Policy also provides a process for requesting access to your personal information.
If you have any enquiries in relation to privacy or personal information please contact:
The AIDS Action Council of the ACT
Havelock House, 85 Northbourne Avenue, Turner ACT 2612
A copy of the Privacy and Access to Client Information Policy is available here.